|Utility management company was looking for a single complete solution that would allow them to manage all services at once with a universal one-gate solution. Looking for such it was decided to deploy an automated resource management system for smart water metering and then expand it to gas and heating AMI step-by-step.
Utility management companies are facing several serious challenges for correct consumption statistics and billing:
- Manual data provision by customers is often incomplete.
- Utility agents collect meter readings sporadically and there is no proof check available.
- Residents are not motivated with accurate accounting which means they do not track consumption properly.
- There are no clear reasons of dis-balance between amounts of resource supplied and consumed. In some cases, it can reach up to 30% ensuring a residential management company budget loss.
- The utility company has no other way but process meter readings manually wasting several days every month for more or less accurate accounting.
- Undetected on time, for example, water leaks worsen this situation and brings a lot of damage to the property.
|Utility management company|
|WAVIoT network has been deployed in the area of 36 apartment houses which is operated by a local utility management company. Residential apartment houses involved in this project are spread on the territory of 140 square kilometers with an unfriendly urban environment. For reference purposes, one of the 22-floor houses with more than 600 apartments is pictured below.
WAVIoT gateways with 3 × 120 Deg 16 dBi sector antennas has been mounted on top of the nearby building for superior range and sensitivity. A total number of gateways required to provide a full coverage for an average 1 million population city amounts to 6-9 units on average depending on the topology characteristics.
At a first stage, more than 15 000 WAVIoT smart water meters have been installed in the water stand-pipe location. Absolutely standard off the shelve equipment provides outstanding communication link budget due to high penetration characteristics of the WAVIoT’s NB-Fi signal.
Summarizing our use case experience we normally see most of our nodes demonstrating 5-20 km in the urban environment. The maximum distance exceeds 25 kilometers as shown in the screenshot from WAVIoT network management back-end.
The gateway installed on the top of a building receiving signals from WAVIoT smart water meter on the other side of city crossing a harsh urban environment. Such a long range is available because of numerous factors: outstanding characteristics of NB-Fi protocol based on the narrowband approach, extraordinary -154 dBm gateway sensitivity equipped with 16 dBi sector antennas which allow getting the maximum budget link of up to 176 dBm.
|Emerging (technology has been on the market for > 2 years)|